Field ExperiencePsychology majors can participate in PSYC 491, Professional Field Experience in Psychology, each academic term. This course involves placement at a community agency performing work relevant to psychology for academic credit. The course may be taken as a capstone experience or for elective credits (elective credits beyond the three credits counted for a capstone experience count toward the 120 needed for a degree, but not toward the 42 limit on psychology credits). Psychology majors interested in participating in PSYC 491 must first apply to and be accepted for the program before they can arrange a placement.
1.) Submit the application form by the due date.
2.) Submit two recommendation forms, which must also be completed by the due date. The recommendation form link must be sent BY THE STUDENT to the chosen recommender(s).
3.) Complete the following waiver for each recommendation requested.
Important Dates for 491 Application and Registration:
Spring 2021 Dates & Deadlines
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020- Information Night- 6:30pm in LSB G-15
- October 7, 2020- Web application due, along with two recommendations (submitted electronically)
- October 26, 2020- Notification of acceptance and authorization of interviews (sent to student’s MIX email account)
- November 16, 2020- Student-Supervisor Agreement and Practicum Agreement Forms, signed by student and supervisor, due. (NOTE: Background check must also be complete before student will receive the CRN for registration)
*Please be aware that late submission of these forms may result in an inability to register for PSYC 491 for the chosen semester.
Summer and Fall 2020 Dates & Deadlines
- February 5, 2020- Information Night- 6:30pm – Room TBA
- February 21, 2020- Web application due, along with two recommendations (submitted electronically)
- March 16, 2020- Notification of acceptance and authorization of interviews (sent to student’s MIX email account)
- April 9, 2020- Student-Supervisor Agreement and Practicum Agreement Forms due, signed by student and supervisor (NOTE: late submission of these forms may result in an inability to register for PSYC 491 for the chosen semester)
Students who are already approved for the PSYC 491 program and who have received authorization to interview at a placement site(s) have several more steps to complete before registration can occur. Students may access and download all of the required documents here.
1.) The instructions for next steps, includes advice regarding interviewing and setting up a placement.
2.) After a successful interview, the Student/Supervisor Internship Agreement form and the Practicum agreement form must be completed and submitted by the due date. Please type in all responses and complete with student and supervisor signatures where indicated. Both of these contractual forms must be submitted prior to registering for the course. Forms may be scanned and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to the Psychology office.
3.) After being approved for PSYC 491, students names are submitted for a mandatory background check. Please check for an email from email@example.com. This background check must be complete before students are permitted to register.
At the conclusion of the practicum, site supervisors are required to submit an evaluation of the student via webform no later than one week prior to the end of semester.