Skip to main content

Psychology Advising Questions

Do I have to attend group advising every semester?
Yes. All students must attend a psychology group advising session to have their registration holds lifted. It is important that you sign up for a group advising session in a timely manner each semester so you can register for necessary courses with limited seats. Announcements for times, locations and how to sign up for these sessions will be available through MIX e-mail and posted throughout the department. Students should not plan on meeting individually with their advisor about specific registration questions until they have attended a group advising session. 

Failure to attend group advising will result in having your advising hold lifted after your registration period begins.

For what reasons should I meet with my advisor?
Your advisor is an important resource as you progress through psychology. They aid in choosing courses that will keep you on track, provide valuable post-graduation and career advice. Some reasons to meet with your academic advisor include:
  • Removing your registration hold removed (see next question)
  • Discussing academic progress
  • Declaring a minor
  • Switching from a BA to a BS or vice versa
  • Signing University forms
Before scheduling an appointment with your advisor, review the information in your advising booklet, DegreeWorks, Undergraduate Catalog and this advising page. Nearly all student questions can be answered with available resources.

How do I change my major to psychology?
Your first step is to inform your current major advisor of your intended change of major. The academic status update will be initiated in your current department. Next, visit the ECAS Office of Undergraduate Studies (221 Armstrong) to have your request processed. Lastly, set up an appointment with a major advisor in the Department of Psychology. 

How do I set up an appointment to meet with my advisor?
First, if you have been recently admitted to the major, look on your degree works to which advisor has been assigned to you. Advising appointments can be made by using the sign-up sheets outside each advisor’s door, or by emailing your advisor.

What if I want to add a minor?
To add a minor, review the requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog or using the What-If tab in DegreeWorks. Most minors are 15-18 credits, and all minors require at least nine credits of upper-level courses. Completing a minor usually takes three semesters due to pre-requisites and sequential courses, but some minors can be completed more quickly. Meet with your advisor to review the minor and see how you can add the electives to your overall plan. Bring a copy of the intent to minor form, found in 1120 LSB, when you meet with your advisor. Return the form to Vee Lewis in 1120 LSB.

Popular minors for psychology majors include: biology, communication studies, sociology, forensic and investigative science and business administration.

What is group advising?
Group advising is the method our department uses to advise students and removing the advising hold each semester. Group advising sessions are offered several weeks before registration. Topics discussed include: degree requirements, progressing through the major, preparing for graduation and career or graduate school preparation. Sessions are organized by class standing.

Where are advising booklets and other forms located?
Advising booklets and other important forms can be found 1120 LSB or by visiting your academic advisor. A new advising booklet is provided each year. The new advising booklet is updated with all current University and departmental policies related to earning your degree. Students must bring their advising booklet to all advising sessions and appointments. Students are expected to update their advising booklets with courses completed and any additional degrees sought, such as a minor or another major.

Who is my advisor?
Your academic advisor is indicated at the top of your DegreeWorks page.

Who is my mentor?
See the DegreeWorks page Notes section for your psychology mentor. Mentors will be assigned after your Psychology major has been declared. If you don’t have a mentor indicated in your DegreeWorks notes, please contact Vee Lewis (1120 LSB) to have a mentor assigned. Students may also develop a mentoring relationship with faculty through participation in classes or research labs.