Skip to main content

General Advising Questions

Am I able to take a class at another institution over the summer?
Yes, please visit the University transfer requirements page to learn more about courses taken elsewhere that have approval to count for WVU courses. 

How do I know if my AP/IB/CLEP/Transfer credits have been counted at WVU?
There are two ways to determine if and how outside credits have been counted at WVU. One way is to view these credits in DegreeWorks. If they do not appear as counting toward requirements, they may be present at the bottom of your DegreeWorks page under “Fall-through courses."

The second way to view these credits is to view your academic transcript through STAR. You may do this by going to Portal > STAR > Click here to enter STAR > Student Services & Housing > Student Records > Academic Transcript.

If anticipated courses do not appear or do not appear as expected, contact the Office of the University Registrar.

How many credit hours should I take each semester?
The overall degree requires earning 120 credits. Students generally take 15-18 credits a semester. Students may also take courses over the summer to increase their progress toward earning their degree. If students take 15 credits a semester, along with the required courses, they should be able to complete their degree in 4 years. Your advisor will work with you to help you complete your major in a timely manner.

If I earned a D or F in a class, will I need to repeat it?
Some classes will require a C or better. Within the Psychology major, students must earn at least a C in PSYC 101 and STAT 201/211 to complete the major. Some math courses needed for the BA or BS also need a grade of C or better if they are used as a prerequisite for more advanced math courses.

If a student earns a D or F in a course at WVU or at any university in the WV state system and the course is taken no later than the semester or summer term in which the student completes the sixtieth hour of credit (including any transfer credits), the student may “D/F repeat” that course. The course can be repeated only at WVU Morgantown or at one of WVU’s divisional campuses. The second set of credits and letter grade will count toward the degree while the first set of credits and letter grade will be excluded.

If the course is taken after the sixtieth hour of classes, then both the first and the later letter grade will count in the overall GPA, but only one set of credits will count towards graduation.

Is there a minimum and maximum number of credit hours that I can take each semester?
Yes, full-time status is 12 credits or more a semester. However, students are not permitted to enroll for more than 20 credit hours without permission of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies. Some funding sources and scholarships require students take a minimum number of credits per semester or per year. Visit the Mountaineer Hub for more information.

My DegreeWorks shows that I’m on academic probation. What does that mean and what do I need to do?
At the end of the fall term, students whose GPA is less than 2.0 will be placed on probation. Students will have the spring semester to improve their GPA to at least a 2.0. Students with a GPA below a 2.0 at the end of the spring semester will be placed on suspension regardless of whether they were previously on probation.

The standards used to determine a student’s eligibility for suspension are based on overall GPA in relation to credit hours attempted. Credit hours attempted include all credits included on the student’s WVU transcript (regardless of where or how completed and including credits with grades of F). Please review the Suspension Guide.

Eberly College students on academic probation will need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies at 304-293-7476 to make an appointment with an academic advisor. An Eberly advisor will work with students to develop a contract to improve their GPA. While on probation, only an Eberly advisor will remove the advising hold. It is necessary for students on probation to meet with an advisor in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

My DegreeWorks shows that I’m on academic suspension. What now?
At the end of the spring term, students whose overall GPA is below the standards in theSuspension Guide will be notified by the Office of the University Registrar that they are on academic suspension. Students can appeal their suspension. Instructions on how to appeal with appropriate links will be sent to students immediately after the term (both through email and letters sent to the students’ permanent addresses). Students should pay special attention to the deadlines and requirements for appealing their suspension. Students who qualify for suspension at the end of the spring term may take summer credits at WVU (any campus) to improve their GPA to at least a 2.0.

If either the appeal is approved or if students improve their GPA to the required standard in the Suspension Guide, the suspension will be automatically removed. If the suspension is not removed, then the student will have to serve their suspension and they will be removed from their fall classes.

What do I need to do if I’m transferring from another institution?
To be eligible to enroll as a transfer student at WVU, students must have at least a 2.0 grade point average in all college work attempted. Upon admissions, students must meet with their advisor to schedule courses.

Students earning a degree from WVU must earn either their last consecutive 30 hours from WVU’s main campus or a total of 90 credits from WVU’s main campus overall.

What happens if I withdraw from a few classes?
Students should be aware that failure to make timely progress toward graduation may interfere with maintaining funding, such as scholarships and/or financial aid. 

Will my parents know how I am doing in classes?
No. As per the Federal Education Records Privacy Act (FERPA), parents, family members, and friends are not permitted access to personal academic records without permission. For detailed information about this policy, please visit

If you would like to give someone access to your personal academic records, please complete the proper permissions forms. Parents and guests can find more information here. Parents contacting the university to discuss their student’s progress must have approval noted in the parent/guest portal and give the personalized password listed in the parent/guest portal.